As per the Tax Practitioners Board Website the following are considered a BAS service and therefore to complete any of these services as a contractor you need to be a registered BAS agent or you could face thousands of dollars in fines. If you provide these services and you are not registered please stop before someone reports you.
Examples of BAS Services:
• Applying to the Registrar for an ABN on behalf of a client.
• Coding transactions, tax invoices and transferring data onto a computer program for clients through processes that require the interpretation or application of a BAS provision.
• Confirming figures to be included on a client’s activity statement.
• Completing activity statements on behalf of an entity or instructing the entity which figures to include.
• Providing advice about or confirming the withholding tax obligations for the employees of a client.
• Services declared to be a BAS service by way of a legislative instrument issued by the TPB.
• Preparing and providing an income statement that may include reportable fringe benefits amounts and the reportable employer superannuation contributions.
• Registering or providing advice on registration for GST or PAYG withholding.
• Services under the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992 to the extent that they relate to a payroll function or payments to contractors.
• Advising about an SGC liability, including calculating the liability and preparing the SGC statement
• Advising about the offsetting of late payments of superannuation contributions against the SGC
• Completing the late payment offset election section of an SGC statement
• Representing a client in their dealings with the ATO relating to the SGC – lodging SGC statements, being an authorised contact relating to SG and SGC, and accessing these accounts in the ATO’s online services for BAS agents
• Being an authorised contact with the ATO for payment arrangements relating to SGC account
• Being an authorised contact with the ATO for requesting penalty remissions relating to SGC
• Being an authorised contact for any audit or review activity undertaken by the ATO relating to SGC
• Determining and reporting the superannuation guarantee shortfall and associated administrative fees.
• Dealing with superannuation payments made through a clearing house.
• Completing and lodging the Taxable payments annual report to the ATO on behalf of a client.
• Sending a TFN declaration to the Commissioner on behalf of a client
• Providing a payroll service which involves interpreting and applying a BAS provision, including reporting of employee payroll information through the use of STP enabled software.
• Undertaking a payroll compliance review, providing an assessment and/or opinion whether the client is compliant with one or more BAS provisions.
• Determining eligibility, providing advice and assisting eligible clients to elect to participate in the JobKeeper Payments scheme.
• Determining eligibility, providing advice and assisting eligible clients in relation to their Cashflow boost entitlements.
• Determining eligibility, providing advice and assisting eligible clients to claim the JobMaker Hiring Credit.
TPB Link https://www.tpb.gov.au/bas-services